New Pathways for Asian Investment
The exponential growth of Asia as a source of investment capital into Australian real estate has been remarkable. Having escaped the GFC relatively unscathed, Australia has enjoyed 102 quarters of successive economic growth and investors in our market benefiting from one of the largest yield spreads over the cost of funds of any developed nation globally.
As we enter what is widely dubbed the ‘Asian Century’ the region’s perception of Australia is evolving to become more inclusive and as such we will continue to see more cross-border capital flows into our market. This report looks at the history of this investment, and discusses the expected new entrants and new pathways in the coming years.
Five key findings from this report:
- Chinese capital has been a game changer for Australian real estate, increasing 320 times from $50 million between 2001-08 to $16 billion between 2009-16.
- Asian capital has displaced the USA and Europe as the number one source of property investment into Australia every year since 2012.
- Over 60% of Australia’s trade is with Asia – 6 of our top 10 trading partners are in the Asian region.
- Sydney is the fourth most popular destination for global capital in the past five years.
- Frasers, Ascendas, GIC, China Investment Corp, Greenland have been the largest Asia-based investors in Australian real estate since 2011.
Cuffelinks Showcase 2015
The Cuffelinks Showcase 2015, is a free e-book from the team at Cuffelinks, which the Australian Investors Association calls “Australia’s foremost independent financial newsletter for professionals and self-directed investors.” This e-book provides the best articles based on originality, popularity and quality of insight they published in 2015. It is surprising how well most articles have stood the test of time, and the wide range of subjects covered including portfolio construction, retirement, SMSF’s, Fintech, equities, bond and real estate investing.
To access the e-book, you need to subscribe free of charge to the weekly Cuffelinks newsletter and then you will be taken to a page to access the e-book.
Unlocking The Future Of Capital Markets
Jim McCaughan – Chief Executive Officer – Principal Global Investors
For all intents and purposes, it is impossible to accurately predict the future. It is, however, possible to determine the direction the future is headed. This article addresses four current trends that are set to have major influences on the future of capital markets in the coming years. The four trends are:
- Urbanization and Re-urbanization
- Structural Oversupply of Commodities and Manufactured Goods
- Technology and Infrastructure
Australia Benchmark Report
The Australia Benchmark Report provides rich data demonstrating why there is no better place than Australia to do business. The report examines five key reasons for investing in Australia – Growth, Innovation, Talent, Location and Business – and compares Australia’s credentials with other countries.
Investing Between The flags
A Practical Guide To Investing
What’s the secret of investment success? Instead of relying on good luck, the wise investor takes time to understand the basic principles of investing, then develops and sticks to a sound investment plan. Australian Securities and Investments Commission’s (ASIC) guide will put you on the path to investing wisely. However, the guidance ASIC offers is general in nature. Working out a detailed strategy that meets your individual needs may require the help of a licensed financial adviser.